A portable electric stove can have a lot of uses, it can be a brilliant companion for any camping trip with a generator.
Especially if you are sick of cold beans, but it can also be a great backup at home and some people even use a portable electric stove as their main food cooking utility item.
Owning a portable electric stove will mean that you are ready for anything, if you have a power outage, a small generator will ensure that you have hot meals and don’t have to settle for any less.
A portable electric stove doesn’t just have to be for emergencies, if you are having a beautiful day you can have your own outdoor kitchen and easily cook some burgers or hot dogs without needing to fire up the grill.
You could also use it as an extra cooktop to save space in your kitchen while cooking those bigger family meals.
There are plenty of ways you can enjoy a portable electric stove, the next question is, which one do you get?
There are loads of good quality portable electric stoves on the market, in this article, we’ve put together a list of our favorites, along with a handy buyer’s guide so if none of these portable electric stoves are to your taste, you can easily go out and buy your own.
Ovente’s electric double burner is everything you need from a portable stove, its design is simple and efficient, and having the luxury of two burners makes mealtimes just that little bit easier.
These two burners are 6 and 7 inches and use infrared technology and 1700 watts to cook food effectively and right through and they heat up in seconds.
This double burner is also made with a durable stainless housing which makes it very heavy duty and suitable for anything you may throw at it, it is guaranteed not to easily warp or rust and will be with you for the long run.
The Ovente has a simple design with a knob for each burner with 5 different heat settings.
Next to the hob, you’ll even find a handy indicator light that will turn off when the burner is heated fully, so you don’t have to guess at the temperature that your burner is.
Because of its material and simple design, the Ovente is also very easy to clean, all you’ll need is a damp sponge or a disinfectant kitchen wipe to see away any stains it may accumulate.
The Ovente is a top choice for anyone looking for a stove with two burners and its simple design makes it very easy to use.
- Double burner – Having two burners is always a plus, it allows you to diversify your meal making and make it just that much easier to use when cooking.
- Simple design – The Ovente comes with just two knobs with 5 different settings and two indicator lights that tell you when the stove has heated up, therefore it is very easy to use.
- Easy to maintain – Because of its stainless housing, the Ovente is very durable and also easy to clean, meaning that you won’t have any trouble in maintaining this portable electric stove.
- No indicator safety light – The Ovente has a very simple design meaning that it just has two knobs and two lights, it, therefore, doesn’t have a light to indicate that the stove is still hot, which could be quite dangerous.
The NuWave precision induction cooktop is a single burner that has some fantastic features.
This burner has 6 different pre-programmed temperature settings but allows you to choose your own temperature in 10-degree increments between 100 degrees Fahrenheit and 575 degrees Fahrenheit.
This gives you a staggering 52 different temperature options to choose from. This means that you can sear a steak to perfection and simmer a pasta sauce on the same hob that can bring water to a boil within seconds.
As well as its cooking features, the NuWave precision induction cooktop also has state-of-the-art safety features that make this portable electric stove as risk-free as possible.
For example, the NuWave has an automatic shut-off function when the pan is removed from the base, ensuring that the burner isn’t costing you extra money or burning your hand.
On the topic of saving money, the NuWave also uses up to 70% less energy than other conventional portable gas or electric stoves, saving you money on your bills as well as being better for the environment.
- Cooking features – The NuWave has tons of cooking features including 6 different pre-programmed temperature settings and 52 different temperature options in 10-degree increments between 100 degrees Fahrenheit and 575 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Safety features – This cooktop has an automatic shut-off function when the pan is removed from the hob, meaning you won’t accidentally leave the stove on when not used.
- 70% less energy – The NuWave uses 70% less energy than the conventional portable gas or electric stove meaning you save money on your bills and they are better for the environment.
- Must use induction cookware – Because the NuWave is an induction cooktop it will only work with induction cookware, meaning that you will have to buy induction cookware separately if you don’t already own some.
Cuisinart’s cast-iron single burner is a single cooktop that is simple yet effective, it has everything you need and is extremely easy to use.
The first thing you’ll notice about the Cuisinart is the efficient design, with only one knob for the temperature of the stove and two clearly labeled indicators that tell you when the stove is on and when the stove is heated to its desired temperature. The knob gives you six options for different temperatures.
As well as being easy to use, the Cuisinart is also very easy to keep and maintain, the stove is a coil-less heavy duty cast iron plate that is extremely easy to clean up stains with a damp cloth or some disinfectant kitchen wipes and a stainless steel body that is just as easy to clean.
Another safety feature of the Cuisinart is its non-slip rubber feet that ensure that when you are cooking, nothing will tip over and spill, causing a mess and potential harm.
- Easy to use – The Cuisinart comes with one knob that has six different temperature options, this simple design makes it very easy to use.
- Easy to maintain – The heavy-duty cast iron plate and the stainless steel frame are very easy to clean and maintain with a damp cloth or disinfectant kitchen wipes.
- Safety features – The Cuisinart has a couple of stand-out safety features, such as the non-slip rubber feet and the indicator light telling you when the stove is still on.
- Heavy – For a single plate portable electric stove, the Cuisinart is quite heavy at 6.85 pounds, which can be uncomfortable if taken in a backpack on a camping trip.
The Duxtop portable induction cooktop is another portable electric stove that is filled with different features that give you the most out of your portable electric stove.
This burner has a temperature range of 140 degrees Fahrenheit to 460 degrees Fahrenheit and you can choose from 10 power levels from 200 watts to 1800 watts giving you enough choice in how you cook your food, whether you are slow-cooking or fast frying.
It also has an easy-read digital display countdown timer that will count down from a max of 170 minutes.
Duxtop has also added many features to ensure that this burner has a longer life, including a 7-blade fan that will dissipate heat from your electric stove making sure that the stove isn’t damaged by constant high heat over time.
The Duxtop also has a safety feature of having the cooktop shut off after 60 seconds of inactivity to make sure that you do not accidentally leave your cooktop on which could waste electricity and also lead to injury.
- Cooking features – The Duxtop has a cooking temperature range of 140 degrees Fahrenheit to 460 degrees Fahrenheit which gives you a lot of choice in how you want to cook your food.
- Long-lasting – This burner has features that will ensure that the cooktop has a longer-lasting life than other cooktops such as its built-in 7-blade fan.
- Safety features – The Duxtop will turn off after 60 seconds of inactivity to make sure you do not leave the stove on and potentially cause harm.
- Must use induction cookware – Because the Duxtop is an induction cooktop it will only work with induction cookware, meaning that you will have to buy induction cookware separately if you don’t already own some.
The Techwood electric hot plate comes with two burners instead of one meaning that you have more versatility in your cooking and can cook meals more efficiently and even make two meals at one time.
Its 1800W hot plates can heat up food quickly and evenly and assures minimal heat loss that will save energy meaning it is cheaper for your electric bills and beneficial for the environment.
The simple design makes the Techwood very easy to use, with one nob for each hob to turn on the temperature.
It also comes with many safety features such as an overheat protection system that automatically shuts off the machine as it starts to overheat, and hob indicators that glow red when the hob is on and hot.
The Techwood is also easy to clean and maintain, the stainless steel material for the base and the glass surface for the hob can be easily wiped down with a damp cloth or kitchen disinfectant.
- Double burner – This stove comes with two burners meaning you can be more versatile in your cooking and even cook two meals at the same time.
- Safety features – The Techwood has a couple of important safety features, including the light-up hob when the stove is still hot and the automatic shut-off when the stove is close to overheating.
- Easy to clean – The stainless steel base and the glass surface for the hob means that this stove can be easily wiped down and cleaned from food stains.
- Temperature levels – The Techwood has less flexibility in its temperature levels than other portable electric stoves may have.
The BT-200DZ has tons of cooking features and safety features and is one of the most efficient cooktops that are on the market right now. The BT-200DZ comes with one induction hob that lets you choose from 20 preset power levels and 20 temperature settings ranging from 100 degrees Fahrenheit to 460 degrees Fahrenheit.
The BT-200DZ also includes a button for boiling which will set your cooktop to max temperature for 10 minutes, as well as a button for keeping warm, which will set your cooktop to 140 degrees Fahrenheit for half an hour.
The BT-200DZ also has a few fantastic safety features such as an automatic shut-off when the stove is inactive for 60 seconds, meaning that the stove won’t be accidentally left on costing your electric bill and wasting electricity.
The stove also has a child lock button that disables all other buttons apart from the on-off button, which is perfect for not accidentally changing the temperature of your hob and ruining your meal.
As mentioned before, the BT-200DZ is also one of the most efficient cooktops on the market, it has an 83% induction efficiency meaning it uses 83% less electricity than the average cooktop, saving you money on your bills and also helping the environment.
- Cooking features – As well as 20 preset power levels and 20 temperature options ranging from 100 degrees Fahrenheit to 460 degrees Fahrenheit, the BT-200DZ also has a button for boiling and a button for simmering.
- Safety features – The induction hob has an automatic turn-off after 60 seconds of inactive use and also comes with a child safety button that means no button but the ON/OFF button can be used.
- Efficiency – The BT-200DZ is one of the most efficient cooktops on the market being 83% more efficient than the average electric cooktop, saving you money on your bills while helping the environment.
- Must use induction cookware – Because the BT-200DZ is an induction cooktop it will only work with induction cookware, meaning that you will have to buy induction cookware separately if you don’t already own some.
The Proctor Silex electric cooktop is the most affordable option on this list but still provides everything you need from a portable electric stove.
This stove uses a coil hot plate which has a classic look to it, along with this, the Proctor has a simple and efficient design with one nob that lets you turn your hob from warm to high and a power light that indicates when the hob is on.
Due to its simplicity, this stove is also very small and lightweight and the perfect portable stove to bring on camping holidays as you can easily carry it around in a backpack.
Because of its design, it can be cleaned easily with a damp sponge or a disinfectant kitchen wipe, and the coil lifts easily on its hinges to clean any spills left in the spill tray underneath.
The stove also comes with rubber feet that stop the stove from slipping easily while cooking, making it safe on any surface. This is a great affordable stove and perfect for camping with.
- Affordable – This is the most affordable stove on this list and is high-quality for the price that you pay for it. Would recommend this stove to anyone who needs a portable stove on a budget.
- Lightweight – weighing just over 2 pounds this is a very lightweight stove and is perfect for taking a backpack to camping. Because of its simple design, the stove is also quite small in its dimensions too.
- Easy to maintain – The Proctor is very easy to clean and the heated coil has hinges so you can wipe away stains that spill below it.
- Limited temperature levels – The proctor is a very basic portable electric stove and therefore comes with no additional features and very basic temperature control that gives you three options, off, warm, and high.
The portable electric stoves that we have listed for you may not be the ones you are looking for, and that’s fine!
Everyone’s situation is different and you may need to find a portable electric stove that is unique to you.
We’ve put together this handy buyer’s guide that will take you through the things you’ll need to think about before buying a portable electric stove that is right for you.
Portability is what you are looking for when buying a portable electric stove, but what does portability mean?
Well for an electric stove to be portable it needs to be two things, lightweight and compact, you want it to be able to fit into your backpack and not have to feel the extra weight if you are walking with it.
The size and weight of the stove will depend on other factors, for example, stoves with two hobs will be more versatile when cooking however they will obviously be bigger and most of the time they will be heavier.
What you are using the stove for will greatly impact the stove that you buy.
If you are just using the stove for small camping trips then portability will be more important than the additional features that the stove has, you’ll just want something light and small that can heat up a tin of beans or some coffee.
Alternatively, if you are using this stove in your home as an extra hob then it may be useful to have some additional cooking and safety features allowing you to choose exactly how you want your stove to cook whatever is on there.
You also need to think about the features that you want on your stove, a lot of stoves will come with different cooking settings for ease of use but they can be more expensive.
As well as the different cooking features it is also important to think about safety features that you may need on a stove.
For instance, if you have young children you can get stoves with child locks that deactivate some buttons and stoves that switch off automatically when they haven’t been used or aren’t currently in use.
How much control do you want over the temperature of the stove? If you are looking for something that can just heat up food and act as a hot plate then this won’t be a big selling point for you.
However, a lot of stoves can have multiple temperature settings that allow you to go through a range of different temperatures depending on what you are cooking and how you want to cook it.
Having more temperature control over your stove will also likely drive up the price of the stove.
Cleaning and Maintenance
You want a stove that is easy to clean and maintain, look for materials such as glass or stainless steel that can easily be wiped down with a damp sponge or a disinfectant kitchen wipe when stained.
Some stoves will also come with features that will prolong the life of the stove such as built-in extractor fans that make sure that the stove doesn’t overheat.
Induction or Not
A lot of portable electric stoves these days have an induction hob. Induction hobs are usually more efficient and can save you money on your electricity bills and help the environment.
They are also safer as they only heat up when a certain type of pan is on the stove and usually come with more advanced additional features.
However, because the induction hob will only work with induction pans then you will have to invest in some of these pans to actually use the hob, which could be pricey.
To Sum Up
Whatever reason you are buying your portable electric stove it is important that you get the right portable electric stove for yourself and your individual needs.
This will depend on many unique factors that only apply to you. We always recommend using caution around any hot surface and always make sure that your portable electric stove is placed on a firm surface before cooking.