Grilling shouldn’t be limited to those who have the garden space but with the smoke that grills produce, it makes it a lot harder to grill indoors without choking on fumes or the fire alarm going off.
It can also be detrimental to the ecosystem and contribute to air pollution so why not go for an indoor smokeless grill instead?
With the invention of the smokeless indoor grill you can grill indoors and you don’t have to worry about depending on the weather to be nice, allowing you to grill more than you could ever have hoped. They are also portable so you can take them to the beach or a party.
The Techwood grill gets rid of the smoke it produces by utilizing its airflow technology, there is a fan that stays hidden as it ventilates the smoke.
The food on the grill is not plagued by the taste of charcoal and the non-stick grill grate prevents the food from sticking and cooking in its own fat which is collected in the removable drip tray underneath, both the grill grate and the drip tray are washing machine safe.
This indoor grill also does not use propane and gives you the ability to cook in temperatures ranging from 220F degrees to 450F degrees by navigating the LED digital temperature control. When turned on, it can heat up to the maximum temperature in a limited time so you can get to grilling straight away.
It has built-in overheat protection that automatically shuts off the grill if the temperature gets too high. The lid is made from tempered glass which makes it tougher, heat resistant, scratch-resistant, and clear enough to see through and keep an eye on the food you’re grilling.
- Exhaust fan – hidden fan sucks the smoke from the grill
- Non-stick grill – the food does not stick to the grill and can be washed easily
- LED digital temperature control – heating control is accurate and maintains the same temperature throughout the process
- Flat lid – the lid is not as domed shaped as other indoor grills which limit the space you can use inside
The Gotham steel smokeless grill is very easy to use which is ideal for those who do not have a lot of grilling experience. The parts that come with this grill can be assembled in no more than five minutes and once it is all set up, looks attractive and tidy. It also has a drip tray which reduces hot smoke and cools grease.
The heat is spread across the surface of the grill to ensure that it is heated evenly, and everything cooks at the same level.
The grill is coated in three layers of non-stick and reinforced with titanium and ceramic to allow food to slide off and leave no residue without having to rely on butter and oil, which also makes it a healthier alternative.
Utensils like metal spoons, spatulas, and whisks do not damage the non-stick surface is dishwasher safe, resulting in a hassle-free grilling experience.
- Heat is evenly spread – food cooks evenly
- Non-Stick grill – easy to clean as there are no bits of food stuck to it
- Open top – easy access to turn food and supervise its progress
- Smaller than some other grills – may not have enough space for bigger cuts of meat or preparing for a party
The PowerXL is bigger than a lot of other smokeless indoor grills on the market, measuring at 108 square inches of non-stick grill space. Similar to the first grill included on this list, the maximum temperature this model reaches is also 450F degrees controlled by a smart LED temperature control.
However, it is not a very portable grill with it weighing 15 pounds, but if you are not planning on taking it out of the kitchen then this won’t be a problem. It could even be seen as a positive that it has substantial weight as it would make it less likely to be knocked over and cause burns.
It delivers a smokeless experience by using the fan as an exhaust to eliminate the smoke through the vents. This grill removes the hassle of having to defrost food as it can cook them from frozen and this process can be sped up by closing the lid and letting the grill work its magic.
The grill, lid, and drip tray are all dishwasher safe and the area stays tidy with the liquid and fat being collected in the drip tray.
- Built-in fan – the fan sucks smoke out of the grill
- 108 square inches – grill space accommodates lots of food
- Dishwasher safe – Grill, lid, and drip tray can be washed in the dishwasher
- Weighs 15 pounds – being heavy results in it not being very portable
This grill is operated by a 1200-watt motor which means it does not have as much power as other indoor grills on the market and takes longer to grill food. It takes about ten minutes to preheat to its maximum temperature of 450F degrees and around 20 minutes to cook a steak medium-rare.
However, you can place a lot of food on the grill as it has 118 square inches of space, serving up to six people. The lid also reaches high enough for bigger cuts of meat to fit onto the grill and has a window you can view the food from as it cooks.
The drip tray is extra-large so that all the juice is caught before it spills and is also easy to remove and dishwasher safe, as well as the cooking plate.
- Has 118 square inches of space – serves up to six people at a time
- Temperature controls are easy to read – a green light comes on when it has preheated
- 1200-Watts power – takes longer to preheat and cook food
This tabletop grill not only cooks food to perfection but looks great while doing it. It has a simple circular design that can come apart into three parts which make cleaning up quick and simple.
The base and handles are heat resistant, reducing burns and accidents and you can look through the glass lid to check on how the food is doing without lifting the lid and letting the heat out. There is a grease collector at the bottom of the base which keeps the juice contained and the grill plate is PFOA-Free and non-stick.
The diameter of this grill plate is 12.5-inches and has deep ridges that enhance those characteristic grill marks. The thermostat control has five adjustable settings and reaches 450F quickly when preheating, which will notify you when it has reached when the red LED light turns off.
- Heat resistant – can’t burn yourself on the handles
- Preheats fast and evenly – the heat is evenly distributed around the grill
- Easy to clean – the parts are easy to detach and put in the dishwasher
- 12.5-inch diameter – the grilling space is not that big, may not work for large families
This grill is a great option for people with less space as it also comes with a rotisserie spit which can hold up to six pounds, a fryer basket, fish cage, and many different stainless-steel tools for things like kebabs and fish.
Two forks come with the spit alongside seven skewers, and two round plates, this allows you to be versatile and cook whatever you want as there will be a high-quality tool for it.
This device uses infrared cooking technology which cuts down the smoke produced by 80% and heats up quickly and evenly. The body is made out of stainless steel and the grill is non-stick which can be easily wiped clean. It also has a safety feature that will shut off the power after 90 minutes.
- 5-in1 – has a grill, rotisserie spit, fish basket, fryer basket, and a kebab set
- Infrared cooking technology – the fan produces 80% less smoke than other indoor grills
- More components to clean – not as straightforward to clean as other grills
If you are looking for a grill that is especially easy to clean, then the Zojirushi will fit the bill. The components come apart easily with the dishwasher-safe drip tray already separated from the grill which also makes it better suited for storing in tight spaces.
Additionally, it is very portable as it weighs just seven pounds, it also has 1300 watts of power which makes it heat up quickly and grill the food evenly.
- Preheats quickly – does not take as long to cook and has enough power to cook evenly
- Lightweight – very portable and easy to put away
- Variable heating control – provides precise and accurate heating controls
- Easy to clean – drip tray is detached and grill is non-stick
- No top lid – takes longer to cook and can be dangerous for children as the grill is exposed
This is another multifunctional grill, it has a grill, panini press, and a griddle. It has reversible grill plates that can be removed and cleaned in the dishwasher, they measure at 11 x 9-inches which can fix six burgers at a time.
However, it depends on how you use the device as you can double this space by using it as a half grill or half griddle and can save you a lot of time. The grill has an LCD display and lets you know if it is preheated with LED lights that turn green and red depending on the temperature status that reaches up to 450F.
- 5-in1 features – the grill, griddle, and panini press allow you to be creative and flexible with the way you cook
- LCD Display – easy to read temperature and timer display
- Not as portable as other indoor grills – it weighs 12 pounds and due to having multiple compartments it is not as easy to put away in small spaces
The Carl Schmidt grill uses turbo smoking technology to reduce the smoke it produces, this works differently from the other indoor smokeless grills as it uses water try and a fan. The plate is split into a smooth griddle surface and a grill surface.
The plates are made of die-cast aluminum which is sprayed with a coating that is both non-toxic and non-stick. The excess fat and oil drip through small holes at the bottom of the plates into the drip tray beneath.
The built-in U-shaped heating element heats the plate evenly and there is an easy-to-read dial on the top of the device which lets you pick any temperature ranging from 200F to 450F in 50F increments and a fan button that aids in extracting the smoke.
- Has two functions – there is s grill plate as well as a griddle plate
- Temperature Controls – the dial is easy to use and the fan button helps to remove excess smoke
- Water tray – indoor grill competitors do not have to use a water tray and is more of a hassle than just having a fan
By using two infrared heating bulbs, this grill can evenly heat its grill in just six minutes without heating the area around it. It also has built-in overheat protection which automatically shuts off the grill if the temperature gets too high.
Like the other grills, the plate has a non-stick coating, this makes it easy to clean alongside the fact that the grill plate and the drip tray are dishwasher safe, but you should wait for half an hour before cleaning the grill to let it cool down.
- Infrared heating technology – heats the grill quickly without also heating the surrounding area
- Overheat protection – device automatically shuts off if it gets too hot
- Limited grill space – can fit two rib-eye steaks on the grill
Having a lid on a grill helps keep the heat in and helps prevent burns and splatters. The lid on this Secura grill is made from tempered glass which makes it clear and durable and it is coated in silicon. It is powered by 1800 watts which is higher than a lot of competitor indoor grills.
The 180 square inch cooking plate is non-stick and reversible with one side functioning as a grill and the other as a griddle. The device is easy to clean and put away as the components come apart without difficulty.
- 2-in-1 features – has a reversible grill plate with a griddle on the other side
- Tempered glass lid – retains heat and prevents splatter
- Grease drain – the grease drain takes up nearly two inches of space on the grilling plate
Nothing can go wrong when cooking with this grill as it has six cooking settings that include burger, poultry, sausage-pork, sandwich, fish, pork, red meat, bacon, and shellfish. You do not have to worry about getting the right temperature for each food item as the grill will figure all that out for you.
However, if you do want to apply your own temperatures and times then you can do that too. There is also a button with a snowflake on it that cooks food from frozen. Additionally, there are sensors that measure the thickness of the meat and decides what time and the temperature it should use in order to cook it perfectly.
- Six cooking settings – great for beginners, specializes its temperature and timer depending on what food it is cooking
- Thickness measurer – sensor measures meat thickness and cooks it through while keeping it moist
- 1800 watts – powerful and heats up quickly
- Lifespan – users have reported that it can be unreliable with its longevity
This grill can do things that the other grills mentioned on this list cannot do, it can air crisp, roast, broil, bake and even dehydrate. It is almost like having a whole kitchen in one box. With all of these features, it does bring the weight of the device up to 22 pounds which do make it less portable and will not likely fit in a cupboard.
This grill is perfect for big families and parties because it can fit up to six up to steaks and 24 hot dogs. There is a smoke control system, a temperature-controlled grill grate, a cool air zone that reduces smoke, and a splatter shield. It has a control panel that is very user-friendly with buttons that are specialized for cooking preferences, temperature grill controls, and timer.
The power of this grill allows you to defrost food and under in under 25 minutes and the thermostat continuously monitors the temperature in two places so you can get results that are more accurate than grills from competitors.
- Has multiple functions – has a lot more functions than other indoor grills
- Accurate temperature – the temperature is measured in two different places to ensure it is even
- Weighs 22 pounds – being heavy makes it less portable and harder to put away
This girl does what it says in the tin and is good for people on a diet or are health conscious as this grill has a de-oiling design that reduces the number of calories that stick to your food. It weighs just five pounds, you can take it to the balcony, park or a party and it won’t be inconvenient to lug around.
There are five modes that you can use to adjust the temperature and a large grill surface that you can fit a lot of different foods on, the grease from the food drips down and is collected in the drip tray below which is separated so it can be easily cleaned. In addition to this, the spacing between the grill grate is narrow enough for thinly sliced meat and vegetables to be placed on it but is wide enough to make it easy to clean.
As a bonus, this grill comes with BBQ tongs and a recipe book that covers a variety of BBQ methods including chicken, beef, seafood, and pork.
- Very portable – the grill only weighs five pounds and the two sections can be separated to make it more so
- De-oiling design – makes meals more healthy
- 1000 Watts – not very powerful and takes longer to preheat
Similar to the Carl Schmidt grill, this grill also uses a water tray to help reduce the amount of smoke it produces. A feature that is unique to this grill is that it has different heat zones on the grill surface that are controlled by the temperature controller where you can pick high (sear) or low (warm).
There is a good-sized cooking surface that is non-stick, and the grill is dissembled into dishwasher-safe parts.
- Different heat zones – you can cook meat and vegetables at the same time without getting burnt
- Dishwasher safe – comes apart easily to be placed in the dishwasher
- Preheat time – takes about 15 minutes to preheat, ten minutes on average longer than many other indoor grill
The De’Longhi Perfecto grill has cool-touch handles and a tempered glass lid that you can use to watch the food as it cooks, it also keeps the heat in and prevents accidents. There are about two inches of room when the lid is on which is enough for most cuts of meat, fish, and vegetables.
There is a thermostat that is detachable and has five temperature levels and the grill plate is non-stick but is not machine washable due to the electron component but is easy enough to wash by hand. The heating system used in this grill consists of an M-shaped grill design, resulting in the entire surface to heat up evenly.
- Tempered glass lid – allows the food to keep warm
- Non-stick splatter shield – this surrounds the edge of the grill and prevents splatters
- Must be hand washed – the grill plate is not dishwasher friendly
- Two inches of space under the lid – there is not a lot of space for bigger cuts of meat or corncob
As the name suggests, this grill can be used inside and outside and it has a stand but this does not stop it from being able to sit on a counter as the stand can be removed. It has a large non-stick grilling space and can serve up to 15 people at a time and you can choose between five different temperature settings.
It heats up in just three to five minutes and is powered by electricity instead of propane or charcoal, making it perfect for inside as well as outside. Even though the stand is tall, it is not heavy and comes in at 20 pounds which is not so bad if you are just taking it to and from the garden.
- Uses electricity – food is not left tasting like propane or charcoal
- Large grilling surface – this space can serve up to 15 people
- Comes with a stand – makes it more versatile than other grills
- Top heavy – when the grill is on the stand it can be a bit unsteady especially if children are running around it
- Chord length – the chord can fall a couple of feet short if it is being used in the garden
The BELLA grill is small but mighty, it uses a 1500 Watts heating component that cooks things quickly, and the heat is distributed evenly. The food grilled in this is left healthy as the oils and fats are collected in the drip tray underneath and the copper non-stick coating is eco-friendly. It can also be used to steam, saute, roast, fry, and be used as a buffet server.
- 1500 watts heating component – powerful and the heat is spread evenly
- Non-stick coating – the coating is made of copper and is eco-friendly
- Multifunctional – can be used for different meals and food groups
- Grill bars – people have reported that two of the bars do not get as much heat as the others
With this grill, you are able to unfold the surface to double the cooking space, there is also a setting for paninis where the grill plate folds down onto the griddle to create a press. It has an 1800-watt heating design and provides maximum heat to the plates so that food is cooked faster.
The temperature and time are controlled by dials located on the side of the grill that has three different settings; low, sear, and panini, and range in temperatures from 320F to 450F which is generated directly to the plates themselves.
- Folding surface – allows access to a grill, griddle, and panini press
- Heat is transferred directly to the plate – this makes the plate heat up much faster
- Digital display – you can track the temperature and timer easily
- Non-stick – the plates have non-stick but is not secure enough for dishwashers and would last longer if hand washed
What should you look for when buying a smokeless indoor grill? You should look at how much power wattage it has, anything above 1200-watts will preheat quickly and stay hot. If you prefer faster cooking, then choosing a grill with 1500-1800-Watt power is advisable.
As well as how much power it has, you should also take into consideration how it is powered, electrical powered indoor grills are the best option because they create less smoke and do not leave any propane taste on the food.
Most smokeless indoor grills are dishwasher friendly but some are not and need to be hand-washed, if you are not wanting to put in more time to cleaning up then look to see if it says it is dishwasher friendly because if there are any electrical components attached to it then it will not be.
Finally, having a grill with a tempered glass lid has many advantages such as keeping food warm and preventing splatters. Even if you buy a grill with a lid, you do not have to use it but it will make the cooking experience more efficient.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Indoor Grills Taste Good?
Indoor smokeless grills taste good, but they do not taste the same as if they were BBQed outside on charcoal. Some indoor grills do a much better job than others when achieving that characteristic BBQ taste.
If the grill is powerful and has a sear temperature setting then it can taste closer to an outdoor grill but if you are still looking for a smokey taste then you can add flavorings to the food as they cook.
After a while, there is a good chance that you will prefer the taste from an indoor grill as you can taste the freshness of the meat more than the charcoal.
Are Smokeless Grills Healthy?
Smokeless grills are healthy because they do not produce nearly as much smoke as outdoor ones which can be harmful for people to breathe, especially if they have health conditions like asthma. BBQ smoke can also cause more serious health problems as it can easily be absorbed into the lungs and the bloodstream.
This can increase the risk of brain damage, dementia and Alzheimer’s but in a worst-case scenario it can cause death if there is a high concentration of it.
A lot of indoor grills have plates that do not require the use of oil or butter because they are non-stick, this reduces the number of calories and fat that the food would absorb otherwise. They also have drip trays that catch the excess oil and fat which goes down the sink instead of your body.